The Code


He makes me feel I am over 60. I might not have seen much in this world. But till date, I have never seen such a man of this age with soaring energy and passion. He is Ananta Ram Baidya, a licensed Civil Engineer in California. He visits Kathmandu University at even semesters from America to teach a course “Code” in 3rd year. Kathmandu University facilitates this course in Civil Engineering program and is an elective subject.

Currently, I’m a 4th year student, awaiting for professional life to begin as a Civil Engineer. In 3rd year, I was unaware of this subject and I took “Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering” as my elective. The reason was simple. The subject “Code” was new to me. I mean it is a new course first launched at Kathmandu University. Being the first batch, I was not exposed to the content of this course.

Coming to 4th year, I got an opportunity to attend his presentation regarding the sidewalks in the streets of Kathmandu and its accessibility to people with disabilities. The venue was US Embassy, Maharajgunj and I was accompanied by my 3rd year friends.

The presentation began. It began with drama. Abled people were asked to cover their eyes and walk around. They were also requested to have a feel of walking with wheel chair and crutches. This was done in compliance to the proverb, “one who wears knows where it pinches”. His presentation consisted of present scenarios of pavements, its conditions and a thought in sufficiency of space to disabled people, if electric pole and plantation are done at pavements only. He also presented about the difficulty that rose due to curb at the pavements, its non-uniformity  and its helpfulness to disabled people if it were maintained at proper grade.  Many evidences of different streets of Kathmandu were presented. All agreed to his presentation, and I have never seen LIVE such a convincing one before.
After his presentation, everyone introduced themselves, to open up for discussions. There were representatives of people with disabilities, Civil engineers, Architectural engineers and foreigners too. Foreigners were really interested to know about the discussion as they could read from people’s faces that something interesting and important things are being discussed. One of the foreigner was looking for a person who could translate and explain to him about the talks going on in Nepali.
Ananta sir explained to them that this movement for disabled people should be established from an institutional level as it cannot be done by a single person. He introduced to us as an example of it. 

Actually 3rd year friends who have taken this course were an instance of it. They were given a project on the prospect of developing Kathmandu University for people with disabilities too. After knowing that, my mind simply exclaimed, “WOW!!”

After all the visitors were gone, the media were awaiting for interviewing him. The interview began. We were sitting in front of him and listening. After his interview the camera changed its direction to us. My heart beat was then more pronouncing. They asked about the project and the subject, one by one. I was wondering what to say, as I was the odd one out, who knew nothing about the subject and the project. 

I told them my background but explained them that the forum was really fruitful to me. Being a 4th year student I’d soon be in a professional field. If I was given to design the road, I’d never have thought from the perspective of people with disabilities. I’d have done just the way the roads were constructed before. Not only roads but buildings or in design pf any other civil structures, these people needs to be considered. If they are in comfort zone, then that ensures not only the comfort of them but every general person.

The program finally ended. My friends really liked the presentation as much I did. We were returning and they were congratulating him and were discussing further. I on the other side was quiet. Seeing this he asked me if I had not liked the presentation. But the case was different. I usually keep quiet when I’m hungry or thinking. That time I had a feeling of both. I was really moved by his convincing power, that left inconsiderate people like me to think it over.

Nepal has adopted its building codes particularly from India. Everything that suits there, might not suit here in Nepal too. There is yet to be a code, that addresses the need of the country and also disabled people. There is a need of people who thinks about it. I am so grateful to Mr. Ananta Vaidya, who sparked the light in me to think about “The Code”.

Below is a situation at America:

Comments

Popular Posts